Harrisburg Happening

Monday, July 31, 2006

Patriot News on crime

Well, not the Patriot seems to have concluded there is nothing but crime in Midtown. Their reporter creates the impression people come home at night and barricade themselves in. There has to be a happy medium in reporting, and the Patriot can't find it.

For the record, I did the following yesterday (Sunday) I took a walk from my home to the river, up Verbeke and down Green and didn't run into a single assailant. Then I drove to Muench Street, got out of my (conspicuous by its large size ) SUV and looked at a series of open houses in the 1900 block of Green. Again, no assailants, no drug dealers on the corner, no problems.

Then, well after dark, I walked my dog (little white fluffy French dog) several blocks. No sirens, no criminals, no trouble.

Come on folks, we don't need to live in total fear. This is an over-reaction. Yes, we need information, we need police presence, but this isn't Beirut or Bagdad.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/115431274792810.xml&coll=1

3 Comments:

Blogger Aries708 said...

Sorry Anniken, but I believe that your experiment is flawed. To conduct a proper controlled experiment I think you may want to try a another walk, this time in the 11:30PM to 2:30AM range. Stagger every 4 to 5 feet to simulate proper drunkeness. Now, repeat nightly...

Now don't actually try this...if you did I think you might see the difference. Walking just once or twice won't get you mugged any more than walking home in a thunderstorm once or twice will get you struck by lightning.

Increase the frequency of your late night strolls and I think you'll experience some of the rather unpleasant effects of crime.

I also feel I must comment on the anecdotal nature of your example--anecdotes are good for stories and not much else. And while I agree that we shouldn't live in fear, we should listen to our gut instinct and common sense.

Also, I'd like to recommend that you start teaching Fluffy how to sever Achille's tendons...Now that would be a formidable pet!!!

July 31, 2006  
Blogger GastonStreet said...

I think the streets are deserted because it's just too damn HOT for anyone, including muggers! Try that walk about next week during the wee hours and I bet you see ALL kinds of action. And yes, it won't be Bagdad, but the only way to get City Hall's attention is to slap them in the face. Don't blame the Patriot for their meager attempt to report crime "after the fact" and once the criminals have been caught. Better late than never...

July 31, 2006  
Blogger Anniken Davenport, Esquire said...

Ah, but I never walk anywhere in an enibriated state - that's common sense. And generally I am in bed by 2 a.m., so I won't be trying that.

I'm glad the Patriot is now reporting on crime, but not that they now only talk to people who are afraid. I'm not saying one should not be very cautious, or that there should not be greater polioce presence. But let's be balanced.

I have a hard-wired alarm system, I wouldn't live anywhere without that. That doesn't mean I am afraid, just prudent.

July 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home