Harrisburg Happening

Thursday, March 16, 2006

HACC censors professors

I just found confirmation of the rumor floating around HACC that the administration got rid of a professor because he said "fuck" (A word which is nothing more than an acronym meaning For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge - a citation originally given to British sailors returning to their ships after a night of sampling the local entertainment in port, thus the origin of the term "I got FUCKed" meaning I was written up for having unlawful carnal knowledge) in class.

Seems that Mr. Williams (whom I had the pleasure of being associated with on a HACC sponsored study tour to London a year ago and who is a perfectly pleasant sort of guy) spoke the offensive word in class, and at least one student complained. Now the college and Mr. Williams have settled the case and have agreed to go their separate ways. I hope the settlement was a whopper and Mr. Williams should shop a book deal. I'm an adjunct at HACC, and we got a cryptic message from the college president telling us the matter was closed. So, fellow faculty, don't offend your students in any way.

Is there no end to the level censorship will rise?

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2006/03/08/language

1 Comments:

Blogger Anniken Davenport, Esquire said...

The next time I teach my class in Business Law, and we discuss the bill of rights and the first amendment, I am handing out the article I linked - in two versions. One will include "fuck" as in the original, and another will have those words blacked out. I will first survey the class to see who might take offense to such words, and then hand out the articles accordingly. Think HACC will fire me?

March 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home