Harrisburg Happening

Thursday, March 16, 2006

HACC censors professors

I just found confirmation of the rumor floating around HACC that the administration got rid of a professor because he said "fuck" (A word which is nothing more than an acronym meaning For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge - a citation originally given to British sailors returning to their ships after a night of sampling the local entertainment in port, thus the origin of the term "I got FUCKed" meaning I was written up for having unlawful carnal knowledge) in class.

Seems that Mr. Williams (whom I had the pleasure of being associated with on a HACC sponsored study tour to London a year ago and who is a perfectly pleasant sort of guy) spoke the offensive word in class, and at least one student complained. Now the college and Mr. Williams have settled the case and have agreed to go their separate ways. I hope the settlement was a whopper and Mr. Williams should shop a book deal. I'm an adjunct at HACC, and we got a cryptic message from the college president telling us the matter was closed. So, fellow faculty, don't offend your students in any way.

Is there no end to the level censorship will rise?

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2006/03/08/language

8 Comments:

Blogger Jones1234 said...

Well fuck that!

March 16, 2006  
Blogger GastonStreet said...

I don't mind the occasional Fuck, in fact my speech is peppered with the word (when appropriate)! But I HATE IT when all you here out of someones mouth is fuck this, fuck that, etc, like that is the ONLY word in the English language. Then it becomes OFFENSIVE. I pity the poor soul that was offended at HACC, they must be a recluse, isolated from society. That word is fucking EVERYWHERE!

March 16, 2006  
Blogger hbggirl said...

That is ri-fucking-diculous.

I actually like the word and use it, too, on occasion. Sometimes you just gotta say WHAT THE FUCK.

My favorite thing about the word is that it can be used as is or altered slightly to be used in speech as a noun, verb, adjective, adverb, etc. AND it's one of the only words I know that can be inserted in the middle of other words. (Please see my first use in this post.)

:-)

March 16, 2006  
Blogger Jones1234 said...

I agree. "Fuck" is the most versitile word I know. You can insert it in other words, as hbggirl pointed out, it can be used as any part of speech, or you can make up new words to call people using "Fuck." One of my personal favories is "fucktard."

As in, "The person who got that teacher canned is a fucktard."

Or, "Milton is a fucktard."

No definition needed. You know what "fucktard" means.

March 16, 2006  
Blogger Anniken Davenport, Esquire said...

The next time I teach my class in Business Law, and we discuss the bill of rights and the first amendment, I am handing out the article I linked - in two versions. One will include "fuck" as in the original, and another will have those words blacked out. I will first survey the class to see who might take offense to such words, and then hand out the articles accordingly. Think HACC will fire me?

March 16, 2006  
Blogger hbggirl said...

I
LOVE
THAT.

Can I take the course?

March 16, 2006  
Blogger hbggirl said...

FYI - someone on Pennlive asked about the blog b/c Milton is at it again - I posted this address but don't know how long it will last.....

March 17, 2006  
Blogger Jones1234 said...

Guess it didn't stay up too long?

March 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home